Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Morocco Round-Up

Hello there! So, because this blog is mainly dedicated to my time in Spain, I don't want to focus too much on traveling however, I will be traveling quite a bit so I came up with this: round-up posts. They will be posts filled with pictures and little stories describing my time out of Spain. I hope you enjoy them! The first one is about my trip to Northern Morocco. This one might be a bit longer because it was a trip that I took with my program and not one that I took on my own but here it is!

The trip to Morocco started with a bus ride to Tarifa where we got on a ferry to Tangier, Morocco. The ferry ride itself was absolutely beautiful and it was amazing when we saw Africa for the first time. 



The first flace we went was the Darma Association of Women which is a safe haven for women in Morocco where they can learn and create. They also fed us our first Moroccan meal and I think I will remember that couscous FOREVER. 


At the Darma Association for Women, they focus a lot on education and that was something that really stood out to me, especially because I want to be a teacher when I graduate. They focus on many aspects of education such as reading and writing and craftsmenship.





We then walked around for a bit and visited the Tangier American Legation Institute for Moroccan Studies which used to be an embassy in Morocco. It was strange because it felt a lot like colonial America inside. 



We finished out the first day by visiting some camels and getting to see the Cave of Hercules which was amazing and had some amazing views.









Day two in Morocco started with a walking tour of Tetouan, Morocco. We got to learn about the culture and lifestyle in Tetouan. They are very focused on community and shared living spaces which I thought was very interesting.





This place (above) gives me horror flashbacks because of the awful smell. It is a fully operational place where they cure sheep's wool (not sure of the exact name to be honest) and it was disgusting.




After Tetouan, we got on a bus and drove to Chefchaouen, Morocco which is absolutely stunning. I wanted to stay there forever. You'll notice from the pictures that everything is blue. Now, normally in Morocco when a place is painted blue it means that it has Jewish origins and when it is painted green, it has Muslim origins however, in Chefchaouen, that is not the case. They paint their homes a few times a year and it is almost strictly for beauty (and tourism) purposes. We also had the opportunity to eat lunch with a host family while we were in the city and that was an amazing experience. The food was delicious and it was really interesting to learn about home life and social life in Morocco.













And that's it! That was my weekend trip to Morocco. If you study in Granada I 100% recommend that you visit Morocco. It is an incredibly beautiful and culturally rich location. I do, however, recommend that you go with a tour guide to get the best and safest experience in Morocco. 

Thank you for reading,
Kelly










No comments:

Post a Comment